Saturday, May 06, 2006

Jeb! Must Have Majored In Moron-ology

And Jeb! isn't the only moronolgy major in Florida. The State House (90-24) and senate (39-1) voted to require Florida's children to declare majors before graduating from high school.

I'm sure the proposal, based on a study by "a task force of educators," sounded like a good idea to lawmakers whose children have been and forever will be nurtured by teachers, counselors and college-of-their-choice admissions committees. The rest of Florida's children, however, will soon learn a new (actually, rather old) vocabulary word: Tracking.

Back in my day, with a 3-tiered tracking system firmly in place, I had no idea that there were kids who weren't college bound. I had no idea what a discipline problem was. And I had no idea that there were kids who didn't do their homework. My real education (on education) began the first year of my teaching career.

The most ridiculous part of this "Declare A major-- Or Else" legislation? You don't really get to choose your major in college. Sure, most of us thinks we do, but that's not how it works. When you declare a major, your chosen department judges your qualifications, potential, and recommendations. Then, you get either a thumbs up or down.

Imagine declaring a major while in high school and being turned away at the college level. How would that feel? Personally, I don't know, but I've taught many kids who showed absolutely no aptitude for their passions.

And what about the kids who've never even been exposed to classical dance, music theory, investigative journalism, or applied mathematics until well after they've declared a major in wood shop?

Developmental readiness can't be standardized. Frankly, I don't want to return to the days of square pegs. Do you?


So you think you know Delilah?
Judges 16:19--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home