Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Taser Kid's Grandmother Knows The Score




What's this photo got to do with Taser Kid, you ask?

Buried way down in the Miami Herald's story on Taser Kid's... um, shenanigans... during Senator Kerry's appearance and Q&A (at The University of Florida) is this:


"I'm just really still sort of numb, hearing that my grandson is in jail," Lucy Meyer said.

She added: "He gets very, very overcome with passion for whatever he is feeling. Maybe the passion took over."

The passion took over?

Sounds like Andrew has a history of...um, passion (for lack of a better word to describe a grandmother's recollection of Andrew's tantrums).

No, I don't think the police should use tasers when subduing suspects.

No, I don't think it was Senator Kerry's fault that this kid got arrested.

And no, I don't think Taser Kid should be treated like an instant celeb for throwing a hissy fit at a public event.

Let's talk about passion...

Did John Kerry resist arrest when he was Taser Kid's age?

No.

Did Gandhi resist arrest?




No.

Did The Nazarene resist arrest?




Not according to the Bible.

Tazer Kid?




Yep. Kicking and screaming like a spoiled child.

The comments regarding Taser Kid have ranged from my opinion to "What did he do to get arrested?"

What did he do?

He stormed to the front of the Q&A line, grabbed the microphone away from another student, and demanded that a US senator suspend his entire schedule and listen politely to convoluted ramblings (with 4 questions easily googled for answers)... which the senator gladly did.

Passion, my ass.

Taser Kid obviously wasn't paying attention in Civics 101, when civil disobedience was discussed. I'm all for CD, but ya gotta be ready to pay the price. That's passion. A tantrum, however, is not an act of CD I've ever heard of.

I want to know what Taser Kid did before he grabbed the mic. Obviously, there's more to this story because the police were summoned before he started his rambling question crap.

I'm sorry you got tasered, Taser Kid.

I'm also sorry that your passion got the best of you. As your grandmother attests, it's obviously happened before. Probably on numerous occasions. In fact, I'll bet your teachers would have some interesting anecdotes to share regarding your... um, passion.

Two words of advice, Taser Boy: Grow up.


Best bar bet in the world: Delilah didn't do it.
Judges 16:19--

2 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Andrew was standing by a mic at the beginning of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2poDMdCAmtQ

...and was acknowledged by Kerry before speaking. He began by thanking Kerry for his time.

About his behavior: coulda woulda shoulda

I note Kerry did next to nothing to diffuse the situation in a timely manner. I saw people in the crowd laughing when he was tasered. It appeared that Andrew's rushed, nervous delivery of questions overshadowed the importance of the questions themselves...and I think that it an awful shame.

And I think we should be thanking Andrew for his efforts instead of belittling him.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Update: Greg Palast offers Andrew Meyer a job. It appears Palast sees Andrew's passion as an asset.

http://www.gregpalast.com/greg-palast-offers-job-to-tasered-journalism-student/

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home