Sunday, July 03, 2005

Today's Sermon:
What Matters
Is Your Uniform


How about those Good Christian folks in that Baptist church in Jacksonville, Florida?

Three months ago...

Defending the St. Augustine Movement
March 18 - 20, 2005

Attorneys Bronstein & Temple to Visit the Ancient City 40 Years Ago they defended the Civil Rights Demonstrators in the courts.

They defended the Civil Rights Demonstrators in the Courts Pro Bono Publico, (free for the public good). Now, they will return to share their astonishing and amazing stories on March 18 - 20, 2005. Attorneys Alvin Bronstein of Washington, D.C. and Ralph Temple of Ashland, Oregon will visit the Ancient City to speak to as many groups, churches, and organizations that ACCORD schedules during their weekend visit to the Ancient City after 40 years. Their visit is made possible by Divine Providence, the 40th ACCORD, United Way, Michael & Becky Greenberg, and The Unitarian Universalist Church.

The following Speaking Engagements have been scheduled, but a few more can be arranged before they depart. Donations are welcome.

Sunday, March 20th 9:15 A.M.
Epiphany Baptist
Rev. Dr. Edward Fields, Jr.
663 McDuff Ave. S.
Jacksonville, FL

Today...

Church asks Jacksonville to ban baggy pants, gold teeth

The Associated Press
JACKSONVILLE, Fla.
A church has asked for a citywide ban on low-hanging pants and gold-capped teeth, saying they promote a thuggish image.

Changing the image of young people could help Jacksonville cut unemployment, racial profiling and a rising per-capita murder rate now the highest in the state, said Richard Burton, deacon of Epiphany Baptist Church.

The 250 member independent Baptist church approved the resolution last month.

"They were tired of seeing kids' underwear," said Burton, who serves on the NAACP's national board.

Jacksonville city officials have yet to take up the measure, although Councilwoman Elaine Brown said she was willing to discuss it with church members. LINK

Today's Hymn: "Uniforms" by Pete Townshend


I don't matter you don't matter
Neither does this mindless clatter
It don't matter where you're from
What matters is your uniform

Wear your braces round your seat
Doctor Martens on your feet
Keep your barnet very neat
For credibility on street

We are marching as to war
We won't be obscure no more
In uniform - In uniform

I am really living life inside a jar - I'm all alone
So I feel forgiven if I'm under par - a fallen clone
Only in the river can I claim a star to call my own
I'm newly born,
In uniform I'm up on the throne

I am frightened, you are frightened
Should we get our trousers tightened?
Where in Brighton is your norm
Who wears enlightened uniform?

On my Parka is some band
I don't really understand
Perry is my guiding hand
Scooter polo sweeps the land
We are marching as to war
We won't be obscure no more
In uniform - in uniform

People think we dress alike to segregate identities
Pills or drink or puffing pipes in integrated entities
Then they wink and snort their line and say how great their Bentley is
They feel so warm when they conform. . .

They say that nakedness is what our Lord intended
When we stand naked then we all appear the same
But it's just faking it if we all try pretending
Are we just making all our prayers in the rain
Heaven knows I need new clothes.

We are marching as to war
But we are really fighting for
Our uniform - our uniform

When I contemplate my future I go numb, don't feel a thing
I don't' overrate my suitors number one, I always sing
But the State and their computers make me run for comfort in
My uniform.
In uniform I feel like a king. LINK

THUS ENDETH TODAY'S SERMON.


Go forth and question religious leaders who would deny their own blood-soaked history of civil rights gains and focus instead on what people choose to wear.

Clothing choices.

Skin color.

Not a giant leap.

Ask them how their actions reflect the lessons of their deities, and remind them that clothing choices are none of their Gawd Damned Business.

Tell them that you see the inherent worth and dignity inside everyone...

No matter what they're wearing.

I mean it, damn it!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home