Friday, March 21, 2008

Jesse Jackson & I Are "Typical White Persons"




Today's Law of Obama Unintended Consequences:

Remember yesterday, when Obama said this...?

...The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it...

Typical? Hm.

"There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved." - the Reverend Jesse Jackson, as quoted in US News, 3/10/96.

Here's where the Law of Obama Unintended Consequences comes in...

Jesse Jackson may have been afraid of Black men.

"Typical white women are just plain afraid of men, Obama.

Consider how many actresses play corpses on TV each and every night.

Consider how many news stories are based on women being terrorized, brutalized, and murdered on a daily basis.

When was the last time you feared a woman walking down the street behind you, Obama?

When was the last time you feared confronting a group of women disturbing the peace outside your apartment building?

"That night, well past midnight, a car pulls up in front of my apartment building, carrying a troop of teenage boys and a set of stereo speakers so loud that the floor of my apartment begins to shake. I've learned to ignore such disturbances -- where else do they have to go? I say to myself. But on this particular evening I have someone staying over ...

"'Listen, people, are trying to sleep around here. Why don't y'all take it someplace else?'

"The four boys inside say nothing, don't even move. The wind wipes away my drowsiness, and I feel suddenly exposed, standing in a pair of shorts on the sidewalk in the middle of the night...."

Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father, 1995, pp. 269-271

And that's just the obvious, Obama.

By insulting your own grandmother, you insult every white woman who marched for civil rights, made an effort to further race relations, and dared to look beneath skin color for the true measure of people.

The worst insult?

You assume that I am incapable of assessing your candidacy without considering your skin color.

That's your biggest mistake, Obama.

You have no idea that "typical white persons," like me, embraced desegregation in Texas public schools and even pitched a wall-eyed fit when ignorant white boys asked the new black girls, "So, when are you moving back to Africa?"

You know what else you have no idea about, Obama?

The high school I attended in the 60's still shows the tree-lined street its twin entrances, historical reminders of its original architecture: Separate entrances for boys and girls.

You still have a lot to learn about stereotypes, Obama.



Best bar bet in the world: Delilah didn't do it.
Judges 16:19-- and and

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home