Friday, August 10, 2007

So Long, Bat Boy!


I don't even remember when I first heard of Bat Boy, but I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at people who believed crap as I did at the Bat Boy believers.
CLOSING When mainstream journalism goes tabloid (witness Rupert Murdoch's takeover of the Wall Street Journal), what's left for the old scandal sheets? The Weekly World News, paper of record for Elvis sightings and space-alien updates, lost nearly half its circulation between 2004 and 2006. The paper version will be killed this month, leaving just the website. In the end, WWN--which unearthed a lost sandal of Jesus in Central Park and an al-Qaeda plot to hijack Santa's sleigh-- failed to see the big picture: the turf of made-up news and celebs-gone-bad was about to be taken over by the Onion and TMZ, respectively. It was 28.

Not that I ever purchased a copy of TWWN, mind you. I just liked reading the headlines while waiting in line at Safeway.

Bat Boy just won't be the same online. Those grainy photos were so compelling. So long, Bat Boy!


Best bar bet in the world: Delilah didn't do it.
Judges 16:19--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home