Sunday, January 20, 2008

Today's Sermon: Colson (R- Convict) Still Cashing In On Crimes



How long will The Washington Post keep paying convicted Watergate criminal, Charles Colson, for spewing his "I'm right with God" gassbaggery?

Here's his latest lament on how "pride," his personal weakness which led to his public downfall, is nothing unusual. In fact, Colson repeats his "I didn't do anything that everyone else hasn't done"/ "pride made me do it" mantra like a broken 1973 record player arm:


Pride Before Many Falls

I would agree with C.S. Lewis, who wrote in "Mere Christianity" that pride is the chief of sins. Down through the years it has been man’s abuse of God’s authority, his malice toward his fellow men, which has created the preponderance of human grief.

And this all comes back to pride and ego. As Lewis put is, “The moment you have a self at all, there is a possibility of putting yourself first—wanting to be at the centre—wanting to be God . . .”

We all suffer from pride, and it breeds many of the other vices: envy, anger, greed, and sometimes lust. None of us are free from it and yet, as Lewis writes, “everyone loathes [it] when he sees it in someone else; hardly . . . ever [imagining] that they are guilty themselves.”

In fact it was this very passage that first began to open my eyes to my need for Christ. After Tom Phillips read me these passages in his home in Boston in 1973, I saw key events of my life paraded before me as on a screen. From my choice to join the Marines, to cramming through law school nights, to marrying into the right family, to angling for my position as Special Counsel to the President, I had been driven out of pride. Even what looked like self-sacrifice to the outside world had been on pride’s behalf.

Not only was this devastatingly true in my own life it continues to plague the world in which we live. As Lewis goes on to say, “. . .it is Pride which has been the chief cause of misery in every nation and every family since the world began. Other vices may sometimes bring people together. . . .But Pride always means enmity.”

The moral of Colson's crap: Blame pride, and ye shall prosper.

Thus endeth today's sermon.

Go forth today and consider those like Chuck Colson, who insist on blaming everything and everyone for their crimes... namely, by equating serious civil crimes with sins. After all, barring some major breakthrough in interferon research, someday Colson's obituary will be published. And his crimes will forever be his legacy.

Ask yourself: Who's Colson trying to convince? God or the WaPo obit writers?

Think about it.

I mean it, damn it!



Best bar bet in the world: Delilah didn't do it.
Judges 16:19-- and and

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home