Monday, March 24, 2008

Obama: "This Is Not A Crackpot Church"



Okie Dokie, as Obama likes to say.

OBAMA: I will be honest with you that I didn’t have that many conversations with him over the last year just because I have been so busy. I haven't been going to church. I wasn’t hearing a lot of these comments. The ones that are most offensive are ones that I never knew about until they were reported on. I had had conversations with him in the past – in fact from the day I first met him -- about some of his views. Understand this, something else that has not been reported on enough is despite these very offensive views, this guy has built one of the finest churches in Chicago. This is not a crackpot church. Witness the fact that Bill Clinton invited him to the White House when he was having his personal crises. This is a pillar of the community and if you go there on Easter on this Easter Sunday and you sat down there in the pew you would think this is just like any other church. ... So I don’t want to suggest that somehow, the loops you have been seeing typifies the services all the time. That is the danger of the YouTube era. It doesn't excuse what he said. But it gives it some perspective.

Let's translate, shall we?

I'll be honest with you


I'm gonna lie to you now.

I didn’t have that many conversations with him over the last year-

trans. Don't blame me for what that guy said.

I haven't been going to church

trans. Don't blame me.

I wasn’t hearing a lot of these comments

trans. Don't blame me.

The ones that are most offensive are ones that I never knew about

trans. Don't blame me.

I had had conversations with him in the past – in fact from the day I first met him -- about some of his views

trans. I knew he was a wacko, but don't blame me.

Bill Clinton invited him to the White House

trans. Don't even imagine that I, an elected Democrat with the help of the Clinton 1996 landslide, had anything to do with suggesting this minister be invited.

if you go there on Easter on this Easter Sunday and you sat down there in the pew you would think this is just like any other church

We have pews, hymnals, and Rev. Wright is away on a luxury cruise for Easter.

the danger of the YouTube era

Don't blame Rev. Wright for selling his video sermons on the church's website, and don't blame me. Blame YouTube!

Sorry, Obama. Crackpot is as Crackpot preaches.

Yours may not be that "we don't have musical accompaniment because it's not in the Bible" Church of Christ, but yours is still a crackpot church.



Best bar bet in the world: Delilah didn't do it.
Judges 16:19-- and and

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home